What’s the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of editing photos??
The super artsy, all white space, tumblr aesthetics in your feed…
OR is it something more along the lines of the over exposed, highly saturated ORANGE toned edits?? Back when XXPRO and VALENCIA were basically the only options for Instagram…and NO ONE knew what the hell a “theme” was.
Luckily, over time, we have slowly evolved, and managed to realize our mistakes.
(Please don’t try to search back to 2013-14 posts of mine. I promise you will be scarred.)
Now, personally, editing photos was never really something that I used to do… I always tried to work with what lighting I had, and what color scheme was there, and *fingers crossed* hope for the best!! But boy oh boy was I wrong.
But to each their own of course! Everyone has a different artistic style, especially when it comes to photography!! There’s easily a million and one different ways to do the same basic shot.
That’s what I love!! The different aesthetics that we all have, and the freedom to create anything that our hearts desire is just so beautiful to me.
SO with all that being said, I want to show you guys how I take my pictures from decent, to Instagram worthy in a few simple steps!!
Personally, I have a couple different approaches when taking/editing my photos.
First option being to take the picture directly on my phone, and then immediately edit on the app.
Second option being to use my DSLR camera, download to my laptop, and email them to myself to have them on my phone.
(You can always use your icloud, or external hard-drive if it works easier for you)
Once our pictures are in the camera roll, it’s time for the fun part!!
- We’re going to start off by selecting the image that we want to adjust, and cropping.
-You can simply do this within the VSCO app itself, or on the camera roll quick edit options. Just decide if you want your image to be square, rectangle, or just trim off the busy edges that are distracting. This is solely up to you!
- Next, you need to open up the VSCO app (stop what you’re doing and go download it if you haven’t already!) and import the image to the “library”. Simply click the + in the corner, and select from there.
-I like to duplicate my pictures before editing them, simply for a side by side comparison, but it is definitely not required!
- Once you’re in the app, go ahead and tap to select your first image. -Now we’re getting to the good stuff!! At the bottom, you’ll notice 4 buttons. Click the second one (looks like two horizontal lines). This will take you to the “presets”, which are basically the free filters to choose from. *you also have the option to pay for more packages if you want a wider variety*
- Go ahead and click through them…see what you like…get a feel for what you’re working with!!
-It won’t save anything until you tell it to, so just click away and test the waters. Also, if you click the actual picture again, it will take it back to the original, so you can really visualize the difference.
- Once you have selected a filter, you can then drag the bar back and forth to decide how much of the filter you want.
-This is very helpful, because sometimes the presets are very strong and overwhelming. Just adjust the strength, and you’re almost done!!
SEE HOW EASY THIS IS!?
- If you’re looking at your photo now, and you’re happy with it, then feel free to stop here!!
-I like to go the extra mile, and further adjust the lighting, contrast, exposure, brightness…all of that jazz… But I’ll let you be the judge for yourself.
SPECIAL TIP: IF YOU’RE TRYING TO GET STARTED WITH A “THEME” OR, WANT ALL YOUR PICTURES TO HAVE THE SAME FLOW–TRY EDITING SEVERAL WITH THE SAME PRESET AND ADJUSTMENTS, THAT WAY THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME GENERAL LOOK, AND WILL FEEL MUCH MORE UNIFORMED RATHER THAN SPORADIC.
VOILA!! Click save, and our work here is done.
-You have stunning pictures that now look even better!! Sometimes the smallest tweaks make the biggest differences. It’s all about learning your style and figuring out what you like best.
I know that was kind of a lot of detailed information, but I hope you found it even the slightest bit helpful!! Just remember that practice makes perfect–and when it comes to photo editing in particular, there are no wrong doings!! So have fun with it!! Make a side by side and just critique your own work. If you’re happy with it, that’s what matters!!:)
ALSO…IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO EDIT SOME OF YOUR OWN PICTURES, FEEL FREE TO SEND THEM TO ME!! I WOULD ABSOLUTELY LOVE TO SEE!! Instagram, Facebook, Email, or all of the above!
Like always, stay positive, my lovelies!!
*STAY TUNED FOR MY NEXT POSTS ON BASIC IPHONE CAMERA TIPS/TRICKS*